A place where you can get valuable information on helping your child become an engaged and independent learner.
At Hazel Glen College we understand that parents play a crucial role in a their child’s education. Parents are the first and continuing educators in their child’s life. A growing body of research shows that building positive and effective partnerships between home and school leads to improved learning outcomes.
These studies show that parental engagement has a positive impact on many indicators of student achievement, including:
- Higher grades and test scores
- Enrolment in higher level programs and advanced classes
- Lower drop-out rates
- Higher graduation rates
- A greater likelihood of commencing tertiary education.
Beyond educational achievement, parental engagement is associated with various indicators of student development, including:
- Better social skills
- Improved behaviour
- Better adaptation to school
- Increased social capital
- A greater sense of personal competence and efficacy for learning
- Greater engagement in school work
- A stronger belief in the importance of education.
Because of this strong link between parental engagement and student engagement, we hope to provide an area where we can share information that we think might be helpful to you in your job as educators. So, welcome to the Parent Lounge – grab a cuppa, sit down, relax and enjoy!